I am by nature a serious pack-rat which is a trait I am trying to ween myself from. Tonight Dave was working and I had the night off so I decided it was about time I went through my closets and got rid of clothes I no longer wore. Even with my 2 1/2 closets...yes I know it's every girls dream... I am constantly having to shove things in if I want them to fit. Don't get the wrong idea , this doesn't mean I shop too much it's just that I never can throw anything away. I was very amused while going through my clothes to find items that I have had since Junior High. I even found a shirt I wore in 6th grade. Don't ask me why I still had these. Maybe I am just hoping that they will one day come back in style, which lets be honest I don't think the early 90s ever will! I am glad to say that I now have a very organized, color-coordinated closet full of clothes I actually have worn in the last decade. Next on my list is to sort through my shoes. Like many women I become very attached to my shoes but Dave has threatened to start throwing them away himself if I don't do it. Although it would be intriguing to see which ones he chose to keep...hmm.
here's the before and after photos. They don't really do the after justice but I promise it's night and day!




I filled 3 large garbage bags full of stuff to get rid of. I can't tell you how good it feels to be organized at last! Does anyone else just feel a whole lot better when your house is in order?!?!

8 comments:
Um, can I just say how funny it is that you posted this, because I was going to do the same thing this weekend. I also use 2 closets for my clothes, and for the same reason-I don't get rid of anything. I really do still have things from jr. high that I don't wear, but I just can't get rid of them. You have now motivated me enough to actually get rid of them now!!!
Way to go on cleaning out your closets! Have you done anything with your clothes that you are getting rid of? You should try selling them on ebay. Have you ever thought of that? When I went through my closet when I got married I had so many clothes to get rid of and my brother suggested that I try selling them on ebay. I didn't end up doing it and now that I look back on it I am so mad I didn't. Hope everything is well at the salon. Tell everyone hi for me!
What I like is that I recognize many of those clothes crammed in there. And that is why I never get rid of stuff myself, the memories they bring. And the oh-so-logical thought that if I could find it in me to wear them again I would relive those memories. That, or because I somehow think my clothes have feelings. When I try to give them away they look at me as if saying "Don't you love me anymore? Why am I not good enough for you?" This is also why I try to wear clothes that are out of fashion (trying to give them equal usage time, I feel bad for them)... It's sad really...
Natalie, this post was hilarious! I just did this the other day and like you, had 3 HUGE garbage sacks so full of clothes I couldn't even carry them they were so heavy so Scott had to load them into the car. And I did the shoe thing. Like you, I have a million shoes. I must say I filled up one full black garbabe sack of shoes and haven't looked back since. It's such a good thing. Now just on to Scott's closet....
I really need to clean out every closet in our house! Good job getting it done!
I will be 7 weeks on thursday so not too far along, but it's one of those things that is really hard to keep a secret. I haven't had my first appointment yet but as far as i know my due date is December 3. Hope you find success on ebay.
I am crippled with envy!
I do love an organized closet! Well done!
LOVE your new blog skin & header, Nats! I'd love you to teach me how. I like the necklace you're wearing at the top;-) Congrats on your clean closet! Doesn't it feel good? Dan & I went through all of your clothes last month and I actually tried on everything and got rid of things I didn't love. It's nice not be be holding on to maternity & "fat" clothes anymore! Sad thing is, when I was done, it just made me want to SHOP! I've seen your plethora of shoes....Good luck! I miss you
;-)
Post a Comment